Holly Avenue Elementary School
Dive in for Character!
“Character Slips” and “I Slipped” Slips
Rewards & Consequences
At Holly Avenue we have a school wide program called Character Counts. The purpose of this program is to emphasize the character traits of Respect, Responsibility, Trustworthiness, Fairness, Caring and Citizenship consistently and to reinforce those concepts within the school community. There is a tremendous amount of good news about this program. Here is how the program works:
- There is a Character Counts assembly celebration every month.
- Students can earn “good choice” Character slips for a variety of good choices they make each month. Colorful slips that are given out by any teacher or proctor show these.
- Students can use their “good choice” slips to purchase special treats and school supplies from the newly created “student store” which will be available during recess on specified days through student council.
- Teachers can also choose to incorporate the slips into their individual classrooms management programs.
- Up to three students will be chosen from each classroom to be honored with a certificate for truly exemplifying the focus trait at each CC assembly.
Here is how this works: “reality check” to this program.
There is also a component of the program that identifies when children make a poor choice.
- “I Slipped” slips or “poor choice” slips can also be earned by the student for a variety of poor choices, mainly not returning homework on time, talking or breaking the Pillars of Good Character. These slips must be shown to the parent the same day they were issued and discussed. The parent must sign the slip to be returned to the teacher the following day.
- If the “I Slipped” slip does not get signed by the parent and returned by the end of the week, another will be issued. A student earning more than five “I Slipped” Slips in any month will conference with Mrs. Blackstock and will miss reward activities.
And the best news is…
Each month the process begins over. Every student starts the month with a clean slate! As parents we want what is best for children. It is our hope that the Character Counts program leads each child into making good choices and learning how to turn a poor choice a learning opportunity. “I Slipped” slips and “Character Slips” are an excellent communication tool between school and home. Please join the Holly Avenue’s staff in building children with strong character traits. Character Counts!
Be honest • Don’t deceive, cheat or steal • Be reliable — do what you say you’ll do • Have the courage to do the right thing • Build a good reputation • Be loyal — stand by your family, friends and country
Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule • Be tolerant of differences • Use good manners, not bad language • Be considerate of the feelings of others • Don’t threaten, hit or hurt anyone • Deal peacefully with anger, insults and disagreements
Do what you are supposed to do • Persevere: keep on trying! • Always do your best • Use self-control • Be self-disciplined • Think before you act — consider the consequences • Be accountable for your choices
Play by the rules • Take turns and share • Be open-minded; listen to others • Don’t take advantage of others • Don’t blame others carelessly
Be kind • Be compassionate and show you care • Express gratitude • Forgive others • Help people in need
Do your share to make your school and community better • Cooperate • Get involved in community affairs • Stay informed; vote • Be a good neighbor • Obey laws and rules • Respect authority • Protect the environment